ATM Caves Adventure
Venture underground to an ancient Mayan ritual and sacrificial site, where adventure collides with history on the unique experience of Actun Tunichil Muknal Caves.
Begin your journey by hiking through the jungle, traversing rivers, swimming across the spring water pool guarding the cave entrance, and enter the ancient Mayan underworld. Led by an experienced local guide, you will walk, climb, and crawl your way deeper into the many tunnels and chambers of the impressive cave. As you explore, you will encounter not only the natural beauty of the geological structures, but also historical artifacts and sacred burial grounds.
- Meet at office in San Ignacio for coffee at 645am (please bring your own reusable mug)
- Begin travel at 7am to ATM site (approximately 1 hour)
- Hike 45 minutes to cave entrance, including 3 river crossings (with guide wires)
- Swim short distance at caves entrance (life jackets provided if needed)
- Begin cave exploration, including walking, climbing, and crawling (approximately 3 hours inside the cave)
- Return from cave along same path, stopping for a homemade picnic lunch along the way
- Return drive to San Ignacio
Included in your trip package
- Round trip transport from San Ignacio
- Experienced, English speaking guide
- Homemade picnic lunch (please advise of any dietary restrictions)
- Please note: cameras are not permitted inside the cave & only the guide will carry a dry bag with necessary supplies